At HHELC the governors and staff fully recognise the contribution the school makes to safeguarding children. We recognise that the safety and protection of all pupils/students is of paramount importance and that all staff, including volunteers, have a full and active part to play in providing early help protecting pupils/students from harm. We believe that the school should provide a caring, positive, safe and stimulating environment which promotes all pupils/students’ social, physical, emotional and moral development. In delivering this ambition we will adhere to the principles set out in Nottingham’s Family Support Strategy and Nottingham City Safeguarding Partners Policy, Procedures and Practice Guidance.
Ultimately, effective safeguarding of children can only be achieved by putting children/students at the centre of the system, and by every individual and agency playing their full part, working together to meet the needs of our most vulnerable children and students, in line with Working Together 2018 and Keeping Children Safe in Education 2018.
The aims of this policy are to:
- confirm that the pupils’/students’ development is supported in ways that will foster security, confidence and independence
- raise the awareness of teachers, non-teaching staff and volunteers of the need to safeguard children and of their responsibilities in identifying and reporting possible cases of abuse
- confirm the structured procedures to be followed by all members of the school community if cases of suspected harm or abuse
- emphasise the need for good levels of communication between all members of staff and those with designated responsibility for child safeguarding, health and safety and other safeguarding responsibilities
- emphasise the importance of maintaining and implementing appropriate safeguarding policies, procedures and arrangements of those service providers who use the school’s premises through extended schools or provide any other before and after school activities
- highlight the connection between the safeguarding Policy and the school’s policy for safe recruitment of staff and volunteers, and for managing allegations
- confirm the working relationship with Children and Families Direct, Nottingham City Safeguarding Partners and other agencies and, where appropriate with similar services in neighbouring authorities.